FIRST, CHECK THIS OUT!

Thrashing my bos' computer


on an otherwise beautiful sunday morning.. skip the stupid introduction and straight to the point. I've crashed my bos' computer. 

the thing about the IT department of this group of companies is that, there's only one IT guy and he's in charged of three main offices in Jakarta, including branch offices in Bandung. 

how did that happen, don't ask me.

anyways, I have apparently been the guy to rely on by my bosses when they have problems with their pc, which is a role I really much enjoy, with most of the cases revolve around somethings like why certain xxx websites are no longer accessible, why networks are not connecting, how do you download videos conveniently from youpoop, how to bypass national internet safe wtf which basically stop you from accessing x-rated content websites, and that bossy stuff.

so it seemed to be somewhat normal when a bos, whom I highly respect, come to me complaining that he no longer able to use chrome or mozilla, that the only thing worked was internet explorer, who was already heavily bombarded by spammers. In addition, all his doc and docx files have turned into exe..

trouble..

so chronologically, I tried to examine what types of trojans are infesting the little netbook, a lenovo idea pad S100, and what I could easily identified were mowhorc, which I instantly try to deal with: stop their process on task manager, delete their main and hidden execute files, erase their registry entries and all that stuff.

I then encountered browser protect, which I also try to deal with before finding out that there's an endless horde of stuff pushing themselves in within the task manager..

there were just too many of them that I feel the need to deploy a hired gun, but this is not just a blunt extermination effort, where you could just nuke the whole damn thing and start anew, this is a selective, highly calculated safe and rescue mission, which means that hiring the wrong gunman will means the end of a civilization.

and this is where the whole thing went wrong, and stupid fishy advertisement campaign lured me to spyware cease..
and the stupid application identified more than 500 trojans on the system folders, which upon deletion make the pad crashed.

fuck.

I'm a lazy guy, so things that forced me to overdo things would normally be dissed for the sake of other things which yield the same result, at least in the possibility of things, as the same results here does not necessarily implied the proposed excellence level of it.

in this case, disassembling the pad and connecting the hardisk to a third party pc using a sata cable is out of the question. downloading windows xp installation disk and burn them on a cd, find an external cd player to hook it up with is also dissed

what I have is USB dongle, an access to a scrap i386 folder and a considerably high speed internet connection. and that settles it, so I thought, with the USB as the boot disk to ms dos, I installed windows xp using winnt.exe from the i386 folder, which is a success.

but not until I realized that the there are files within the i386 folder that were missing or somewhat corrupt making it untraceable by xp, not allowing the pad to connect to internet, display help content, install new app due to missing dll files.

double fuck.

ah well, at least I get to enter windows again, which allowed me to fix the doc infested mowhorc, this is especially, effortlessly done using a locally made program called mowremoval v2.3.

unlike the spyware cease bitch, the mowremoval was indeed a capable piece of software designed exactly to do what it intended to do, remove mowhorc and restore the infected files. yup, restore.

and last but not least, this calls for the end of xp, the ever so reliable os version with oh so many deseases that makes it vulnerable in terms of security protection.

once again, after two days of bitching hours, windows 7 prevail, and once again installed through a dongle.

ps. obviously there are other bitching stuff such as finding the drivers for this stupid pad, the fn+f5 not working due to technical wonders such as why the hell a hotkey driver would be included within the power management driver pack (and not the ethernet or lan) and so on and so forth. 

0 kritikan: